We offer free and confidential counselling in Wakefield.
Any counselling referrals submitted online between Thursday 30th July and Monday 17th August will not be processed until week commencing Monday 17th August due to availability of counsellors/counselling sessions over the holiday period. Eligible referrals submitted during this period will be dealt with from Monday 17th August but an appointment to see a counsellor may not be available until the following week.
Please note the counselling service at Yorkshire MESMAC cannot respond to crisis emotional / mental health situations.
If you feel you are in need of crisis emotional / mental health support - contact your GP or telephone the Samaritans national support line on 116 123 - their telephone line is open 24/7.
Yorkshire MESMAC can offer free, short term local counselling in Wakefield for:
- Gay, Bisexual and men who have sex with men.
- Female partners of men who are attracted to men.
- Couples: both gay male couples and male/female couples, where the male partner is attracted to men.
- Young people (16-25 years) who are Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans or questioning their sexual orientation or gender.
- People living with HIV and their partners.
This counselling is free if you are living in these areas and on a low income.
We can offer counselling for individuals and couples.
- A counsellor will not tell you what to do however they will provide you with the space to talk things through and find a way through your own problems.
- A counsellor is someone who is a good listener.
- A counsellor provides a confidential space.
- A counsellor is someone you can talk to who is not involved in your life.
- If you have been the victim of a hate crime or bullying because of your sexuality.
- If you are suffering because of your own or other people’s attitudes to your sexuality.
- If you are suffering because of your own or other peoples' attitudes to your HIV status.
- If you feel you are not confident enough to negotiate the kind of sex or relationships you want.
- If you are having difficulties "coming out" to yourself or others.
- The information you give us will be sent to the Yorkshire MESMAC Counselling Coordinator via email, who will then pass it on to the most appropriate member of our counselling team.
- They will then contact the person being referred as soon as possible.
- If our Counselling Coordinator needs any more information from you they may contact you directly.
- No information that can identify the person being referred will be stored electronically once the referral is made.
- Yorkshire MESMAC’s Counselling Coordinator can be contacted directly in case of any queries on 07771 931 327.