Passionate about Refugee Women Support?
posted by Jess Wynn
on 01st June 2015
City of Sanctuary Wakefield are seeking enthusiastic volunteers to join their dynamic Women’s group that provide weekly support sessions and activities for women and children in Urban House.
City of Sanctuary is a movement to build a culture of hospitality for people seeking sanctuary in the UK.
Urban House is an initial accommodation centre for asylum seekers, many of whom have just arrived in the UK after fleeing violence or persecution. Our residents are from all over the world, from all walks of life, and speak a vast array of languages.
Volunteering is an opportunity for you to offer valuable support to women at a difficult and uncertain time in their life. Role Description• Supporting women by listening• Helping to create a relaxing atmosphere• Getting involved in craft activities • Helping with setting up the sessions and clearing away• Participating in volunteer meetings at Urban House and within the City of Sanctuary group• Attending training sessions, as appropriate
They ask that you commit to volunteering for 3 hours a week (Monday 1.30-4.30pm), for at least 6 months.
What are they looking for?You need to be open-minded, friendly and positive. You also need to be sensitive to different cultures and religions, and interested in meeting new people.
- Ability to empathise with the situation of asylum seeker and refugees, (training will be given on the asylum process during induction)
- Friendly, approachable and able to relate to people from different cultures
- Previous experience working or volunteering with asylum seekers and refugees (desirable but not essential)
- Language skills (desirable but not essential) e.g. Arabic, Tigrinya, Urdu, Farsi, Albanian
- Understand the need for confidentiality
- Committed to non-discrimination and equality regardless of age, disability, gender, race, sexual orientation and gender identity
Practical ConsiderationsThe group is located in Wakefield city centre, close to the train station and can cover reasonable travel expenses.
Due to the nature of the group, They can only accept applications from women, over the age of 18yrs. They particularly welcome applications from settled refugees. Volunteers must commit to volunteering for at least 6 months.
All volunteers will need an enhanced DBS check.
For more information and to register your interest, please click here