Community Development Worker - Young People (Hull)
Come and join our dynamic team in Hull where we have an exciting opportunity for a Community Development Worker to help us promote a positive sexual health message among young people across Hull.
Yorkshire MESMAC is a group of independent community based sexual health and social wellbeing services that are committed to developing and delivering services that are responsive to the needs of our communities. We are seeking to appoint the following:
Community Development Worker – Young People (Hull) (21 hours)
- To reduce the incidence of STI infection and poor sexual health during sex between people in Hull.
- To develop expertise in and focus the majority of work on Young people assigned to this role. To maintain and use the skills required to work with all population groups where necessary.
- To undertake outreach work, focusing on Young people in colleges, schools, community centres, youth centres, youth projects, street outreach and outreach to other settings that young people use.
- To develop forums, groups and events that meet the needs of Young people
- To offer information and sexual health resources, including condoms and lube in a variety of settings; including over the telephone, face to face and over internet.
- To deliver appropriate community based sexual health interventions including HIV point of care tests (POCT) and chlamydia tests to the target groups in community settings.
- To market these services, monitor and evaluate them.
- To work in partnership, with appropriate agencies, to develop these services further.
Main Responsibilities & Duties (list not exhaustive – please refer to the job description and person specification on our website for more details)
- To assess needs in relation to safer sex and sexual health of Young people and higher risk sub-groups identified with in this target group.
- To develop ways of working around perceived, felt and expressed needs of Young people around safer sex, in conjunction with the Operations Manager and Yorkshire MESMAC Community Development Workers.
- To provide relevant, accurate and accessible information focusing on the needs of Young people allowing them to make informed choices about their sexual health.
- To develop a programme of outreach work, in conjunction with Yorkshire MESMAC Community Development Workers, Sessional Outreach Workers and the Hull & East Yorkshire Operations Manager.
Salary: NJC scale 5 (points 19 - 22) starting at £24,799 pro rata per annum for 21 hours per week. Contract is fixed term until 31st March 2021 (with the possibility of a 2 year extension). There is a 5% workplace pension and membership of Simply Health (on completion of probationary period). Salary is reviewed annually. This post is subject to an Enhanced DBS with barred lists check.
Closing date is: Noon on Thursday 21st November 2019
Completed applications should be emailed to email@example.com. Please note that late applications and CV’s will not be accepted.
If your application is successful then Interviews will be held on Thursday 5th December 2019.
We are striving to be an equal opportunities employer, and as such we welcome applications from all sections of the community. We are a Disability Confident employer. (Charity no 1040407).
• Have undertaken and successfully completed the Disability Confident self-assessment
• Are taking all of the core actions to be a Disability Confident employer
• Are offering at least one activity to get the right people for our business and at least one activity to keep and develop our people.