Community Development Worker - HIV Prevention & Support - Wakefield (18.5 hrs)
Come and join our dynamic team in Wakefield where we have an exciting opportunity for a Community Development Worker to help us establish local community initiatives with People living with HIV in Wakefield and other at risk communities.
Yorkshire MESMAC value diversity and are an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons. However, as women and BAME community members are currently under-represented in our Wakefield workforce, we would particularly welcome applications from women and BAME people.
We are seeking to appoint the following:
Community Development Worker – HIV Prevention & Support - Wakefield (18.5 hours)
- To reduce the incidence of HIV infection in Wakefield
- To establish local community initiatives with People living with HIV, which explore needs in relation to social support and service provision and work towards meeting these needs.
- To work with Most At Risk Populations (MARPs) for HIV including Men who have Sex with Men, African communities, Commercial Sex Workers, and People Living With or Affected by HIV (PLWHIV) to improve access to advice, information and guidance around HIV Prevention and Support needs
- To develop and support grassroots community forums, educative and peer support groups and events for PLWHIV and MARPs.
- To deliver appropriate community based sexual health interventions including HIV point of care tests (POCT) to the target groups in community settings. To market these services and monitor and evaluate them. To work in partnership with appropriate agencies, to develop these services further.
- To deliver support and self-management interventions to People Living with HIV
Main Responsibilities & Duties (list not exhaustive – please refer to the job description and person specification for more details)
- You will take the lead for working at the sex worker drop ins, People Living with HIV (PLWHIV) mum and baby group, LGBT Asylum Seekers Group and General PLWHIV peer support group.
- To offer information and sexual health resources including condoms and lube to MARPs in a variety of settings; including over the telephone, face to face and over internet.
- To develop forums, groups and events that meet the needs of MARPs and People Living with HIV.
- To ensure representation of the views of people living with HIV, and people affected by HIV, through Yorkshire MESMAC structures, including reporting to the Board of Trustees and advisory groups of service users.
- To provide individual assessment, support and information to people living with HIV, including those with complex needs relating to asylum, immigration, sexuality, drugs, housing, family, mental health, and financial hardship, and to put in place appropriate services.
Salary: NJC scale 6 (points 19 - 22) starting at £24,799 pro rata per annum for 18.5 hours per week. Contract and Salary are reviewed annually. There is a 5% workplace pension and membership of Simply Health (on completion of probationary period). This post is subject to an Enhanced DBS with barred lists check.
It is advisable to download a copy of the job description and person specification now (should you be successful in obtaining an interview this may be useful)
Completed applications to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date.
Closing date is: Noon on Monday 6th January 2020
Please note that late applications and CV’s will not be accepted
If your application is successful then Interviews will be on Thursday 16th January 2020.
We are striving to be an equal opportunities employer, and as such we welcome applications from all sections of the community. We are a Disability Confident employer. (Charity no 1040407).
• Have undertaken and successfully completed the Disability Confident self-assessment
• Are taking all of the core actions to be a Disability Confident employer
• Are offering at least one activity to get the right people for our business and at least one activity to keep and develop our people.